• security-deposit-banner

The Housing Security Deposit Program is a program administered by the Community Action Partnership of Strafford County with a grant from the state's Bureau of Homeless and Housing Services. This assistance is in the form of a guarantee certificate to the landlord and a loan to the client, which must be paid back to our agency.

Qualification Guidelines and/or Checklists:

In order to be eligible for the Housing Security Deposit Program, you must meet the income eligibility guidelines, obtain at least a 6-month lease from the landlord and be able to maintain the monthly rental fee on the unit. You will be required to pay the loan back within 6 to 24 months and be able to provide good landlord references. We will also need the following information:

  • Client Intake Sheet
  • Monthly Budget Worksheet
  • Verification of all income for the household
  • Landlord Reference Form (to be filled out by your current landlord, or any prior landlord)
  • Social Security numbers and dates of birth for all household members
  • Landlord Form


Contact Information: Call 603-516-8139

Housing Security Deposit Contact

Please contact your nearest Outreach Office for more information about the program and to learn if you may qualify.

Dover Outreach: 61 Locust Street, Suite 240 or 603-516-8126

Farmington Outreach: 527 Main Street or 603-516-8191

Administration Office: 642 Central Avenue, Dover or 603-516-8139 (appointment only)

Web Link:

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

Housing Security Deposit Testimonial

I had to move when I found out my apartment had bed bugs, said Dawn M. I moved in with my dad with my four kids and found out about the Community Action Partnership of Strafford County. I called and the lady came to my house to talk. We went to the Department of Health and Human Services office the next day so I could apply for food stamps and medical assistance for my children, and she helped me fill out all the forms for public housing. I work full time and can afford first month's rent, but not a security deposit too. The Community Action Partnership has a Security Deposit program that can help. Although the landlord doesn't get the money up front and I had to pay the security deposit loan back to the Community Action Partnership, as soon as I paid it the landlord received it and it all worked out great. If it wasn't for that program I would still be living with my Dad. He's the best, but I didn't want to take advantage of the situation.